Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Quantum of Next to Nothing...

Someone convinced me to go see the latest Bond film yesterday, and I can't remember being more bored in a cinema for many a year. No characterisation (OK, I wasn't expecting any....), very disappointing theme song (OK, I wasn't expecting anything memorable, but really!) and the plot is so event driven as to be totally incoherent. I defy anyone to explain to me the plot of this film, and all the characters seem to talk to each other (when they are shooting at each other) in some form of code, with no narrative flow whatsoever.

Even the spectacular stunt sequences - and a lot of shit gets blown up here - are filmed so in-yer-face, and edited to within an inch of their lives, I was bored within minutes. Visual incoherence is unforgivable in a film like this.

Is this what happens when Hollywood hacks write film scripts instead of novels?...

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Weston said...

On your side, Mr. Wilson. I wasn't just disappointed by "Quantum of Solace" I was actually outraged. You wait two years for a new Bond film, and then a crap one comes along. To be honest, I don't even consider it to be a Bond film, so heavily did it steal from the Bourne movies... and, actually I barely consider it to be a "film" at all.... just a collection of badly edited stunt sequences.

Everyone goes on and on about the new Bonds being gritty and realistic... but having Bond headbutt a lift full of trained and armed MI5 agents into unconsciousness is every bit as ludicrous as the space escapades we saw in fare like "Moonraker"... and at least that film was fun.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Colin Wilson said...

Couldn't agree more, Chris.

By the by, you be goin' to San Diego next year? I owe you a drink...

1:02 PM  
Blogger Bobby.N said...

Ha!.... so you has 'Revolver' dropped to number-2 spot on your 'worst films' list now Colin?

Haven't seen this new bond flick yet, but doesn't look like much to me. Like Mr Weston mentioned, it does seem to be modeling itself after the 'Bourne' movies.

I'll wait for it on DVD i think.

-Bobby.N

1:49 PM  
Blogger Tom Taylor said...

I'm sorry, alright?

It's not like I made the movie!

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home